WILD & WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY: Two great picture books about rain!


ABOUT THE BOOK


Discover the joys of a wild rainstorm in this poetic picture book, illustrated by a Caldecott Medalist.

Join a farming family as they experience the full range of a thrilling seaside thunderstorm; from the wild wind and the very first drops; to the pouring, pouring rain; to the wonderful messy mud after the sun returns!

With gentle, rhyming text and vivid artwork from a Caldecott Medal-winning illustrator, this sublime depiction of nature's patterns turns a storm into a celebration.


REVIEW

I'm a big fan of Krommes illustration style, I could spent house just enjoying the beauty of these illustrations.  The story is also excellent.  While deceptively simple, the words and illustrations combine to create a thoroughly enjoyable picture book experience.  The whole premise is based on the arrival of a rain storm. The reader gets to see the storm blow in, leave its mark and then disappear.  The whole thing feels like a real experience as the reader sees the reactions of the animals and people to the changing weather.  Not only does this book provide beautiful illustrations but also read like poetry, which I loved.  A true winner that would be perfect for sharing during a rain storm or in a classroom studying weather or seasons.


ABOUT THE BOOK



Discover the wonder of water in this refreshingly fun and fascinating exploration of rain, raindrops, and the water cycle from the creator of Rah, Rah, Radishes! and Go, Go Grapes!

Raindrops drop. They plop. They patter. They spatter. And in the process, they make the whole world feel fresh and new and clean.

In this gorgeously photo-illustrated nonfiction picture book, celebrated author April Pulley Sayre sheds new light on the wonders of rain, from the beauty of a raindrop balanced on a leaf to the amazing, never-ending water cycle that keeps our planet in perfect ecological balance.


REVIEW

I hope you'll forgive me if I gush here a little bit.  The photographs in this book are absolutely stunning.   The incredible detail in the photos just blows my mind.  I felt like I could reach out and touch the rain drops.  You can actually see the fibers on the leaves.  I could almost smell the fresh air that always comes with rain.  The poetry is just as wonderful as the photographs, describing in just a handful of words what is happening in each photograph.  Many different plants and animals and displayed here in all their glory.  I think my favorite photograph was the one that shows a reflection of a branch in a rain drop.  The author also does the reader a favor by describing at the end the science behind rain and the water cycle.  There are also some great references to other books and websites that have additional information.  An incredible book that is perfect for sharing or just for enjoying.

Comments

  1. Blue on Blue is my 14 month old daughter's current favorite book. I think I've read it 50 times at this point!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YA MYTHOLOGY GIVEAWAY HOP

Happily Ever After Giveaway Hop

My Favorite Reads Giveaway Hop